California Historical Landmarks in Calaveras County
California Historical Landmark 370
Vallecito Bell Monument
Church Street and Cemetery Lane
One of California's important early day mining towns named by Mexicans meaning Little Valley. Gold was discovered here by the Murphy Brothers on 1849. It was originally called "Murphys' Old Diggings". This bell was cast at Troy N.Y. in 1853. After being brought around the horn it was purchased from the ship with funds contributed by early day residents, then brought to Vallecito and erected in a large oak tree in 1854. It was used to call the people together for all purposes until February 16, 1939, when a severe wind blew the old tree down.
This monument was erected by popular subscription and dedicated by the Grand Parlor of the Native Sons of the Golden West on the first day of October 1939.