California Historical Landmarks in Calaveras County
California Historical Landmark 288
CA-49 Between Mark Twain Road and Sultana Lane
The history of Altaville is closely identified with that of Angels Camp. Altaville has been the foundry town of Calaveras County since D. D. Demerest established a foundry there in 1854. Most of the stamp mills and a large part of the mining machinery erected in Calaveras and Tuolumne Counties were built at the Altaville Foundry. A brick schoolhouse was built at Altaville in 1858 and the townsite was established in 1873.
Citation from California Office of Historic Preservation
Close to here, there is an historic marker for the ruins of the Altaville Foundry.