Calaveras County Points of Interest
The marker reads:
Altaville Foundry & Machine Works
Founded by J.M. Wooster
Is the site of the longest running continuously operated foundry west of the Mississippi River. All quartz machinery needed for the numerous mines surrounding the Altaville, Angels Camp area was cast here. It was previously known as Altaville Foundry and Machine Works, Calaveras Iron & Steel Co., and lastly California Electric Steel Co. Previous owners: D.D. Demarest & T.H. Fullen, 1860, Lawrence Monte Verde & Demarest Family 1892, Lawrence Monte Verde Family 1928.
Dedicated May 27, 1995
Princess Parlor No. 84 N.D.G.W.
Angels Town Center