California Historical Landmarks in Calaveras County
California Historical Landmark 253
SR 26 Near Associated Office Road
11 October 2006
(Click Photo to Read Plaque)
This site, in 1849, was a trading center for pioneer miners of northeastern Calaveras County. It was named after the gulch where William and Dan Carsner found large nuggets imbedded in the course [sic] sand.
Water for mining was brought from the middle fork of the Mokelumne River through the Sandy Gulch and Kadish ditches. Quartz mining began in the early fifties. The first custom stamp mill was at the head of Sandy Gulch. The school and election precincts were established early. Hangman's tree stood near the center of town. Numerous Mi-wuk indians lived here then. There are many pioneers buried in the cemetery. This monument is erected in memory of them.
Originally dedicated by the Native Daughters of the Golden West
14 September 1941
Plaque replaced by the Calaveras County Historical Society - 1993