George Applegarth (1876-1972)
George A. Applegarth was born in Oakland, California, in 1876. He began his career as a draftsman at the San Francisco architectural firm Wright & Sanders.
Applegarth studied under Bernard Maybeck at the University of California, Berkeley. He then attended the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris, where he received his diploma in 1906. Upon his return to the United States, Applegarth formed a partnership with Kenneth MacDonald which lasted for six years. Applegarth then practiced on his own.
In 1917, the Pacific Coast Shipbuilding Company built a company town named Clyde near Port Chicago in Contra Costa County. Maybeck was hired as supervising architect. Applegarth was hired as acting architect. Maybeck designed a hotel and two hundred or so houses. Applegarth drew many of the architectural plans.
Applegarth's major works include residential and commercial projects for the Spreckels family, the California Palace of the Legion of Honor, the Clift Hotel, and the Downtown Center Garage.
Applegarth died in 1972 at the age of 96 after driving himself to hospital when he became ill.
|Name||Year||Address||City||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|Apartment Building||1909||1-11 3rd Avenue||San Francisco||Avenue 0001||Apartment Building|
|Cliff Hotel||1913||491-499 Geary Street||San Francisco||Geary 0491||Cliff Hotel|
|Crockett Apartments||1912||1649-1651 Market Street||San Francisco||Market 1649||Crockett Apartments|
|Downtown Center Garage||1953||325 Mason Street||San Francisco||Mason 0325||Downtown Center Garage|
|Eyre Building||1907||161 Kearny Street||San Francisco||Kearny 0161||Eyre Building|
|Forrest Building||1908||1053-1055 Market Street||San Francisco||Market 1053||Forrest Building|
|Heineman Building||1910||130 Bush Street||San Francisco||Bush 0130||Heineman Building|
|Holbrook Building (Demolished c1983 and replaced by One Sansome)||1912||58-64 Sutter Street||San Francisco||Sutter 0058-0064||Holbrook Building (Demolished c1983 and replaced by One Sansome)|
|Metropolis Trust and Savings Bank||1907||623-631 Market Street||San Francisco||Market 0634||Metropolis Trust and Savings Bank|
|Oceanic Building (Demolished c1979 and replaced by 101 California)||1919||2 Pine Street||San Francisco||Pine 0002||Oceanic Building (Demolished c1979 and replaced by 101 California)|
|Palace of the Legion of Honor||1924||Legion of Honor Drive||San Francisco||Legion of Honor||Palace of the Legion of Honor|
|Phoenix Building||1908||220-228 Grant Avenue||San Francisco||Grant 0220||Phoenix Building|
|Residence||1915||201 Locust Street||San Francisco||Locust 0201||Residence|
|Residence||1916||2775 Vallejo||San Francisco||Vallejo 2775||Residence|
|Residence||1916||2785 Vallejo||San Francisco||Vallejo 2785||Residence|
|Residence||1915||3730 Washington Street||San Francisco||Washington 3730||Residence|
|Residences on Presidio Terrace||1908||3, 4, 5, 27, 30, 34 Presidio Terrace||San Francisco||Presidio Terrace 0003||Residences on Presidio Terrace|
|Sachs Building||1908||132 Geary Street||San Francisco||Geary 0132||Sachs Building|
|Spreckels Mansion||1912||2080 Washington Street||San Francisco||Washington||Spreckels Mansion|
|St. Andrew Hotel||1907||438 Post Street||San Francisco||Post 0438||St. Andrew Hotel|
|Union Furniture Store||1909||San Francisco||Market 1017||Union Furniture Store|
The Heineman Building stands on a lot that is only twenty feet wide. It is flanked by the much larger Adam Grant Building and Shell Oil Building.
It was built as a manufactory for belts, ties and suspenders. Prismatic glass in the windows directed light into the workspaces.
Another skinny highrise, the Roullier Building, is a few blocks away on Kearny Street.