National Register of Historic Places in Alameda County
The White Mansion was built in 1878 for Asa L. White, a lumber dealer in San Francisco. It is one of the outstanding examples of the late Italianate style in the East Bay. Both formal and romantic influences are evident. A general attenuation of the classical decorative elements and an overall vertical feeling call to mind late Renaissance, particularly, Venetian palaces.
Asa White and his family occupied the property until 1922 when he retired to a ranch in Los Gatos.
The White brothers, Asa, Jacob and Peter, were native of New Brunswick, Canada, who came to San Francisco in 1872 and established White Brothers, dealers in carriage and wagon stock. By 1882, the brothers expanded the business to include trade in hardwood lumber for carriage parts and for construction in San Francisco, the Bay Area and the Gold Country.
The business remained family owned, passing from Asa to his son and grandson.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in September 1980.