California Historical Landmarks in Alameda County
California Historical Landmark 896
First Unitarian Church of Oakland
685 14th Street
Designed in 1889 by Walter J. Mathews, this solid masonry Romanesque church departed radically from California's traditional Gothic wood frame construction. Noted for its world famous stained glass windows produced by Goodhue of Boston, and for arching redwood spans, the widest at that time west of the Rockies, the church remains a significant cultural and architectural landmark.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 896
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the First Unitarian Church of Oakland, October 30, 1977.
The First Unitarian Church of Oakland is also National Register of Historic Places listing 77000284.