California Historical Landmarks in Alameda County
California Historical Landmark 586
Cresta Blanca Winery
5050 Arroyo Road
South of Livermore
Here Charles A. Wetmore planted his vineyard in 1882. The Cresta Blanca wine he made from its fruit won for California the first International Award, the highest honor at the 1889 Paris Exposition, first bringing assurance to California wine growers that they could grow wines comparable to the finest in the world.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 586
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Livermore Chamber of Commerce, June 15, 1957. Rededicated by the Wente Bros. Sparkling Wine Cellars, August 24, 1985.
Named for a white limestone cliff, Cresta Blanca Winery was in business from 1882 until Prohibition forced it to close.
Charles Wetmore's son Clarence reopened the winery after the repeal of Prohibition.
From 1941 until 1965, Cresta Blanca was owned by Schenley Distillers.
After Schenley departed, the land remained fallow until it was purchased by the Wente family in 1981.