National Register of Historic Places in The City and Borough of Juneau
The following narrative is paraphrased from the National Register Nomination for the Wickersham House.
The Wickersham House, located in Juneau's most venerable residential district, has a commanding view of the city, the State Capitol complex, the Gastineau Channel, and towering mountains. The house itself, although large and well-situated, bears few distinguishing architectural features. It is sturdy, solid, functional but without the gingerbread characteristic of turn-of-the century, fashionable near-mansions. This simplicity was more characteristic of Alaska than the Lower States.
It was built in 1898 by Frank Hammond, owner of the Sheep Creek Mining Company, who enjoyed the affluence to build as he wished. Strength, comfort, quality and convenience were considerations he prized above pomp and ostentation. Building supplies were not a serious problem as they were in the Interior. Juneau, as the major mining center of the Far North since 1880, had well-stocked lumber, hardware and furniture supply houses and was a principal ocean port north of Seattle and San Francisco. He built accordingly, and the house as Hammond built it remains virtually unaltered.
Although the Wickersham House is important as one of the most impressive period homes of Old Juneau, its greatest significance derives from association with The Honorable James V. Wickersham who served as U.S. District Judge in Alaska from 1900-1908 and as Territorial Delegate to the Congress of the United States for 14 years. Wickersham also edited the seven-volume Alaska Law Reports, a Bibliography of Alaskan Literature, and Old Yukon Tales Trails and Trials.
Wickersham State Historic Site is maintained by the Wickersham Society and is sometimes open to the public.