National Register of Historic Places in The City and Borough of Juneau
The Bergmann Hotel, built in 1913, is among the oldest surviving hostelries in Juneau. It was built by Marie E. Bergmann, a German emigrant who came to the Gastineau Channel in 1896 following the death of her husband in Seattle.
Her initial employment was at the Franklin House, a pioneer board-and-rooming establishment for miners. She then worked at the Perseverance Mine and as a nurse at the Simpson Hospital, established in 1886 by a prominent early-day physician.
About 1907 she began managing the Circle City Hotel, owned by businessman George Miller; acquiring the location, she selected a new site, just off the principal business district and central to the leading residential area and built the 50 room, rectangular, three-story, full basement apartment-hotel, which held its grand opening on December 16, 1913. Her initial hopes, with outside capital, was to build a 64 room structure. Steam-heated, with electric lights, hot and cold water in every room, with both baths and showers on every floor, it was considered even in its scaled down version as the best in Juneau.
Widow Bergmann, however, did not long enjoy the fruits of her success. Stricken with brain hemmorhage she died on March 18, 1916. The hotel was left to relatives in Germany, but management was placed with a former employee, Mrs. Mary Bernhofer. The Alaskan Daily Empire in a front page obituary story, called Mrs. Bergmann "one of the best known and best loved women of the city. . .friend, comforter and counsellor, and often banker, to those in need."