National Register #71000194
Reading Adobe Site
End of Adobe Road Near Cottonwood Creek and Reading Island Park
5.8 Miles East of Cottonwood
Major Pierson Barton Reading - whose first name is sometimes spelled Pearson and whose last name is
pronounced Redding - built his adobe home on the right bank of Cottonwood Creek just north of its
confluence with the Sacramento River. The adobe was destroyed by vandals in 1942. When the site was added
to the National Register in 1971, only the foundation remained.
The drawing, titled Reddings [sic] Ranch, was rendered by artist Henry B. Brown around the year 1852.
For more information about the Reading Adobe, please see
California Landmark 10.