The Vicente Martínez Adobe 1849
Vicente J. Martínez was born in Santa Barbara on August 18, 1818,
the second son of Don Ygnacio and Martina de Arellano Martínez
who were married in the Presidio Chapel at Santa Barbara 1802.
Don Ygnacio Martínez was a Spanish officer at San Diego and
Santa Barbara 1788-1819 and became Commandante of the Presidio of
San Francisco 1822-1831 and in 1837 was the third mayor of San
Francisco. Rancho Pinole was granted to him in 1823 and he moved his family
there in 1836 naming his home Nuestra Senora de la Merced being among
the earliest settlers of the Contra Costa. The town of Martinez was
named for him. Upon retiring from military service September 30, 1831,
he moved his family to the Pueblo de San Jose Guadalupe. At Don
Ygnacio's death June 18, 1848, Vicente Martínez inherited this
portion of Rancho Pinole and built this adobe in 1849. He sold the adobe on
October 6, 1853, to Edward Franklin for whom Franklin Canyon was named.
Dr. John T. Strenzel, father-in-law of John Muir, California naturalist,
bought this property from Edward Franklin in 1875.
Plaque dedicated April 17, 1955, by Contra Costa County Historical
California State Registration No. 511