National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco
This "exquisitely anachronistic Victorian conservatory" was constructed between 1878 and 1879. It is one of the largest in the United States, covering 12,533 square feet. The building's 33 tons of glass are supported by a wood and iron framework and three tons of putty.
The great glass building was the first municipal greenhouse in California and the first and most important building in Golden Gate Park.
The Conservatory combines, in a handsomely restrained manner, the fantasy of the Brighton Pavilion and the stately soaring majesty of a simple Gothic church, all expressed in half-modern technical forms in a Baroque silhouette.
From the NRHP nomination form.
In addition to being listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Conservatory is also California Landmark 841 and San Francisco Landmark 50. Only two other buildings in San Francisco have won this triple crown, Mission Dolores and the Old United States Mint.
San Francisco Landmarks in Golden Gate Park:
California Landmarks in Golden Gate Park:
National Register Listings in Golden Gate Park: