National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco
Fort Point, the promontory, is the northernmost point of the San Francisco peninsula, overlooking the Golden Gate.
The present building, built in 1853, declared obsolete in 1905, its batteries abandoned in 1931, made insignificant by the soaring Golden Gate Bridge since 1937, Old Fort Point or Fort Winfield Scot as it was called after 1882, still commands respect for its majesty, its beautiful setting, and its recall of the past.
Built of brick, trimmed and finished with granite, designed after Fort Sumter, some of its walls are 36 feet thick.
Extracted from United State Department of the Interior: National Park Service List of Classified Structures dated 15 January 1958.
In 1794, the Spanish built Castillo De San Joaquín (California Historical Landmark 82) at this location. The Spanish fort was demolished in 1853 and replaced by the current fort.
Historic lighthouses on the west coast: