National Register of Historic Places in Yuba County, California
The Marysville Historic Commercial District contains fifty-nine contributing buildings representing the development of commerce in the city from the mid-nineteenth century to just after the end of the Second World War. The district provides the city's only sizable collection of commercial buildings constructed before 1948.
Commercial activity in the downtown area began during the Gold Rush. Miners sailed up the Feather and Yuba Rivers to reach the gold fields in the Sierra Nevada foothills.
Charles Covillaud owned a owned a trading post and livestock ranch north of the confluence of the rivers. In 1849, he laid out a new town, and began selling lots. By 1850 the town had become the main supply point for thousands of miners upriver in the foothills. Several dozen businesses operated from canvas tents and other impermanent structures along the Yuba River. The permanent population reached about five hundred.
Marysville grew rapidly in the 1850s, became th3 Yuba County seat in 1850, and incorporated in 1851. The population reached around four thousand by 1860.
Capital investment increased. Spurred by a flood and several major fires, businessmen replaced tents and other flimsy structures with larger buildings made of brick. Local kilns were kept busy, as nearly 140 brick commercial buildings went up between 1851 and 1855.
Many miners were immigrants from China, who sought goods and services from fellow countrymen. Part of the commercial district became their center for supplies and temporary housing. The permanent Chinese population in town rose to around one thousand by 1860. Marysville became Sam Fou, the third most important city for Chinese in California.
The district did not grow much between 1860 and 1900.
At the beginning of the 20th century, irrigation canals from local rivers allowed farmers to subdivide their huge wheat fields into smaller farms for raising fruits and vegetables. By the 1920s Yuba County and neighboring Sutter County were producing half the world's supply of clingstone peaches. Other important crops were rice, raisins, prunes, and beans.
Twenty commercial buildings were constructed during the 1920s and many other buildings were ronovated.
Two buildings in particular represent this era of prosperity, expansion and optimism. The Hart Building, designed for offices, rose seven stories and became what was probably the tallest commercial structure between Sacramento and Portland. The five story Hotel Marysville, financed by a group of local businessmen, offered travelers accommodations as elegant as those found in any small city in California.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination.
|Name||Year||Address||Remarks||Sort Address||Sort Name|
|Former Automobile Shop||1915||221-227 Third Street||Street 03 221||Former Automobile Shop|
|Livery Stable||1880||222 Third Street||Originally a livery stable and later a saloon.||Street 03 222||Livery Stable|
|Sping Hotel||1892||411-413 Third Street||Originally part of Spring Hotel. First storey modernized around 1955.||Street 03 411||Sping Hotel|
|Three Stores||1925||410-414 Third Street||Street 03 410||Three Stores|
|Bank||1941||413-415 Fourth Street||Originally a bank; Modernist design||Street 04 413||Bank|
|Dry Goods Store and Apartments||1921||419 Fourth Street||Dry goods store from 1921 until 1970. Storefront remodeled around 1960.||Street 04 419||Dry Goods Store and Apartments|
|Hart Building||1926||421-425 Fourth Street||National Register Listing #82002285||Street 04 421||Hart Building|
|Apartment Building||1902||317-331 Fifth Street||Street 05 317||Apartment Building|
|Stores and Residential||1867||401-407 Fifth Street||19th Century building with a 1920 addition and 1965 remodeling..||Street 05 401||Stores and Residential|
|Delta Building||1923||417-425 Fifth Street||Street 05 417||Delta Building|
|Hotel Marysville||1926||418-430 Fifth Street||Reinforced concrete with brick facing.||Street 05 418||Hotel Marysville|
|Grocery Store||1930||512 Fifth Street||Street 05 512||Grocery Store|
|Vehicle Repair Shop||1880||227 C Street||Street C 227||Vehicle Repair Shop|
|Travelers Hotel||1912||229-231 C Street||Street C 229||Travelers Hotel|
|Nakagawa Company||1857||306 C Street||Street C 306||Nakagawa Company|
|Store||1893||308 C Street||Façade treatment probably dates to 1920's.||Street C 308||Store|
|Store||1880||317 D Street||Storefront probably dates to 1950's.||Street D 317||Store|
|Store||1886||319-321 D Street||Street D 319||Store|
|Store||1884||320 D Street||Street D 320||Store|
|Store||1893||325 D Street||Street D 325||Store|
|Store||1888||326-330 D Street||Remodeled c.1925||Street D 326||Store|
|Marysville Water Company||1888||327-331 D Street||A fourth storey which held water tanks was added c.1910, then removed c.1955||Street D 327||Marysville Water Company|
|1880||332 D Street||Street D 332|
|1900||401-405 D Street||Renovated c.1925 and again c.1980||Street D 401|
|1925||419 D Street||Street D 419|
|Woolworth's||1937||420 D Street||Street D 420||Woolworth's|
|Store||1925||421-423 D Street||Storefronts remodeled since 1948||Street D 421||Store|
|Stores||1929||402-410 E Street||Building appears mostly unaltered||Street E 402||Stores|
|Montgomery Ward||1929||412-414 E Street||Storefronts have been variously altered||Street E 412||Montgomery Ward|
|1929||420-422 E Street||Essentially unaltered except for parapets||Street E 420|
|1940||513 E Street||Street E 513|
|State Theater||1927||515 E Street||Spanish Colonial Revival||Street E 515||State Theater|
|Store||1947||525 E Street||Building appears to be unaltered.||Street E 525||Store|
|Bus Depot||1947||527-529 E Street||Building appears to be little altered.||Street E 527||Bus Depot|
|Pacific Gas and Electric Regional Headquarters||1927||530 E Street||Street E 530||Pacific Gas and Electric Regional Headquarters|
|1888||223 First Street||Street 01 223|
|1888||226 First Street||Street 01 226|
|Kim Wing Building 1913||1858||228 First Street||Originally a one-storey building with the second storey added in 1913. No significant alterations since 1913.||Street 01 228||Kim Wing Building 1913|
|Store||1860||230 First Street||Originally a one-storey building. No apparent alterations since the addition of the seconf storey.||Street 01 230||Store|
|Store||1858||232 First Street||Second storey added around 1925. No apparent alterations since.||Street 01 232||Store|
|Suey Sing||1862||301 First Street||Suey Sing is a Chinese business and fraternal organization.||Street 01 301||Suey Sing|
|Mixed Retail and Residential||1860||310 First Street||Street 01 310||Mixed Retail and Residential|
|Mixed Retail and Residential||1860||312 First Street||Street 01 312||Mixed Retail and Residential|
|Bordello||1860||320 First Street||Originally retail and residential; later, the second floor housed the most notorious bordello in Marysville||Street 01 320||Bordello|
|Bordello Annex||1858||322 First Street||Originally retail and residential; later, an annex of the bordello next door||Street 01 322||Bordello Annex|
|Various Commercial Establishments||1854||330 First Street||Street 01 330||Various Commercial Establishments|
|Residence||1860||25 C Street||Residential since 1909||Street C 025||Residence|
|Chinese Hospital||1925||East of 25 C Street||For many years a Chinese hospital and rest home||Street C 025A||Chinese Hospital|
|Chinese Restaurant and Gambling House||1856||101 C Street||For many years a Chinese restaurant and gambling house||Street C 101||Chinese Restaurant and Gambling House|
|Grocery Store||1858||103 C Street||Originally a grocery and later a restaurant||Street C 103||Grocery Store|
|Mixed Retail and Residential||1915||107 C Street||Street C 107||Mixed Retail and Residential|
|Mission School||1858||112 C Street||Originally commercial and then a Mission School.||Street C 112||Mission School|
|Mixed Retail and Residential||1925||118 C Street||Street C 118||Mixed Retail and Residential|
|Female Boarding House||1887||7 D Street||Residential, originally "female boarding"||Street D 007||Female Boarding House|
|Tower Theater||1946||103 D Street||Street D 103||Tower Theater|
|Bag Manufacturer||1870||113 D Street||The storefront was modernized in 1940||Street D 113||Bag Manufacturer|
|Commercial||1870||115 D Street||Street D 115||Commercial|