Yolo County Points of Interest
This sandstone building, originally a bank, has two stories and a rounded corner. The parapet, once highly ornamented, is now plain. Round-arched windows line the second story. Each has a one-over-one window with an arched transom sided by a wide architrave and topped by a keystone. Below is a wide belt course.
The main entrance has a slightly recessed door, sidelights, and smooth columns with decorated capitals. On each side is a wide two-part window flanked by pilasters. The east elevation has sandstone pilasters, a double door, and an addition with an elaborate classical design.
Aside from the removal of the cornice, the chief alteration to the building occurred in 1914, when the main entrance was moved from the corner to its present location.
Excerpted from the NRHP nomination.
A plaque on the front of the building reads in part:
This sandstone building was constructed in 1903 for the Yolo County Savings Bank, which occupied part of the lower floor...
In 1914 the building was extensively remodeled so that the Bank of Woodland, a national bank, could share the quarters with Yolo County Savings, a state bank.
In the remodeling, it seems no expense was spared, as the inlaid mahogany paneling, imported Italian marble floor, vault facings and entrance facade, and the brass and bronze work were installed at a cost in 1914 of $20,000. This brought the total value of the building to $60,000. The Bank of Woodland...took complete control of the building two years later.
It survived until 1950 when it was acquired by American Trust Company which eventually merged with Wells Fargo Bank in 1960. A few years later Wells Fargo gained complete control and occupied the building until 1963.
The building contributes to the Downtown Woodland Historic District.