California Historical Landmarks in Yolo County
California Historical Landmark 851
Woodland Opera House
320 2nd Street
The first opera house to serve the Sacramento Valley was built on this site in 1885. The present structure, built in 1895-96, continues to represent an important center for theatrical arts of that period. Erected by David M. Hershey and incorporating the classic American playhouse interior, it served vast agricultural regions of the Sacramento Valley. Motion picture competition hastened its closing in 1913.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 851
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Yolo County Historical Society. April 28, 1973.
The Woodland Opera House is also National Register Listing #71000212.