National Register of Historic Places in Ventura County
The Women's Improvement Club of Hueneme is the oldest women's clubhouse in Ventura County and is still in use as a clubhouse.
The club was founded on October 13, 1909 by a group of fifteen women, prominent and active members of the Hueneme community, whose goals were to improve the deteriorating condition of the town and to establish a library.
In 1915 they opened the combination clubhouse and library. The library served the community for twenty years, until in 1935 a new building was opened specifically for that purpose.
The Women's Improvement Club is one of the few remaining California bungalow style buildings in Port Hueneme that has maintained its integrity.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1989.