National Register of Historic Places in Salt Lake County
An interpretive plaque from the Utah Division of State History is mounted on the hotel:Hotel Utah
The corner of Main Street and South Temple has long been important in Utah history. Prior to the construction of the Hotel Utah in 1909-11, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints' general tithing office, bishop's storehouse, and the Deseret News printing plant were located on the site.
Work on the Second Renaissance Revival style hotel, designed by the Los Angeles architectural firm of Parkinson and Bergstrom, began in June 1909. Two years later, on June 9, 1911, the Hotel Utah opened for business. While the LDS church was the primary stockholder, many Mormon and non-Mormon community and business leaders also purchased stock in the effort to provide the city with a first-class hotel.
The ten-story building has a concrete and steel structure and is covered with white glazed terra cotta and brick. Various additions and remodelings have occurred throughout the years, including a substantial expansion to the north and modifications of the roof-top dining facilities.
The building ceased operations as a hotel in August 1987. A major remodeling and adaptive reuse project to accommodate both community and church functions was completed in 1993.
Marker placed in 1993
Hotel Utah was renamed the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in 1993. It houses the Legacy Theater, reception and conference rooms, a FamilySearch center, Nauvoo Cafe, and The Roof and The Garden Restaurants.
According to the offical LDS website, the Legacy Theater is currently (July 2011) showing Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration, a film about the life and legacy of Joseph Smith, the founding prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.