National Register of Historic Places in Garfield County
The commemorative plaque reads:
Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
Erected Oct. 1949
L.D.S. Tithing Office
This structure, the second public building in Escalante, was erected in 1884 of native stone by Mormon pioneers under the direction of Bishop Andrew P. Schow, Edwin Twitchell, and Thomas Heaps. The stone mason was Morgan Richards. It was used to receive and house the tithing of the people which was paid in kind and consisted chiefly of produce from the farms and gardens. Potatoes and perishable foods were stored in the basement. The building is now used as a D.U.P. relic hall.