California Historical Landmarks in Tulare County
California Historical Landmark 413
Mountain Road 109
Tailholt began as a gold mining camp about 1856 during the Kern River gold rush, when gold was obtained from placer and shaft operations. Mining has been carried on intermittently since the time of discovery, with a considerable settlement here during active periods. The town's name was changed to White River about 1870.
Citation from California Office of Historic Preservation