National Register of Historic Places in Siskiyou County
The Edgewood Store, located in the shadow of Mt. Shasta, is surrounded by cattle ranches. Across Edgewood Road is a small pioneer school named Butteville Elementary which is still used.
Since its construction in the 1800's, the store has been the single most important structure in commerce and community affairs in Edgewood. Its presence in an isolated landscape offered a sense of civility and stability for those considering moving to a remote area.
The Edgewood Store has served the community by furnishing the essentials of life - food, drink, clothing, farm implements, etc.
The Post Office was the link to the outside world.
Source: NRHP Nomination Form submitted in January of 2004.