Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Sierra County
The St. Charles Hotel
The St. Charles was erected in 1852 as a hotel by Mr. Hermseir. It was purchased in 1860 by Christina and Jacob Fluke, and burned in 1864. In that year, it was rebuilt to included [sic] a bar and upstairs dance hall. In 1899, Paul and Gertrude Bachels purchased the hotel from the Fluke Estate auction. In the mid-1930's the hotel was inherited by Marcellus (Si) and Ida (Bachels) Fischer. It continued operation as a hotel until the mid-1950's, serving many patrons including teamsters and cattlemen driving Mountain House Grade. The post office was housed in the hotel from 1912 until the mid-1950's, when it became the family residence of Mel and Marcella (Fischers [Bachels]) Ponta. In 1994, Mark and Tammy Helm purchased the building and, in conjunction with the Rollins Family, renovated it to a hotel, and bed and breakfast.
Credo Quia Absurdum
Dedicated August 27, 2006
Major William Downie Chapter 1849
E Clampus Vitus