Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Sierra County
A marker on the front of the building reads:
St. Charles Hotel
The original hotel was built in 1850. Destroyed by fire, February 19, 1852 and rebuilt by Thomas H. Clair, Proprietor. It also was destroyed by fire in 1864. F. A. Eschbacker, built a new St. Charles Hotel and operated it into the 1880's, upon his death his son William and his wife became proprietors, they sold to John Costa. In 1902 he sold to Antone Lavezzola who remained proprietor until 1942. Marion F. Lusk bought the hotel and sold to Ora Higgins who was the owner when it burned for the last time in 1947. The St. Charles was an area landmark and the principal hotel of Downieville. It housed the first telegraph and Wells Fargo Express Office.
Credo Quia Absurdum
Dedicated August 27, 1994
By the Major William Downie Chapter #1849, E Clampus Vitus