National Register of Historic Places in Shasta County
This utilitarian building was designed by M. W. Herron and built of quality local brick from the Redding Brick and Tile Company. The palm trees in front of the building (not visible in our photograph) were planted in 1908, and the vine on the north wall was planted in 1910. The palm trees, which are unusual this far north, provide a striking contrast to the native conifers and deciduous trees.
The building now houses the Old City Hall Gallery and Performing Arts Center which exhibits works by regional artists.
Behind City Hall on Cypress Street is a very fine 1939 streamline moderne fire house designed by Masten & Hurd and funded by the Public Works Administration.