California Historical Landmarks in San Francisco
California Historical Landmark 327-1
Site of Original Mission Dolores Chapel and Dolores Lagoon
Intersection of Camp and Albion Streets
On June 29, 1776, Father Francisco Palou, a member of the Anza Expedition, has a brushwood shelter built here on the edge of a now vanished lake, Lago de los Dolores (Lake of the Sorrows) and offered the first mass. The mission was a log and thatch structure dedicated on October 9, 1776 when the necessary church documents arrived. The present Mission Dolores was dedicated in 1791.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 327-1
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Albion Neighborhood Association, June 29, 1995.