National Register of Historic Places in Santa Clara County
The Lou Henry Hoover House was the family residence of President Herbert C. Hoover and his wife, Lou Henry. The couple met while they were studying geology at the newly-opened Stanford University, and they were married in 1899.
Throughout the years no matter where the Hoovers lived, they always considered Stanford as their home address and dreamed of building a home on the campus. During their nearly fifty years of married life, the Hoovers maintained homes on the campus, but the Lou Henry Hoover House was the only home which they constructed for their own usage.
The house is one of the earliest concepts of a style now classified as International. Mrs. Hoover shunned popular eclectic styles, and she did not want the house to be ostentatious.
Excerpted from the NRHP nomination form.
The Hoover House is both a National Landmark and California Historical Landmark 913.