California Historical Landmarks in Santa Barbara County
California Historical Landmark 928
Site of Original Mission La Purísima
500 Block of South F Street at Railroad Tracks
The ruins at this site are part of the original Mission La Purisima, founded by Padre Fermin de Lasuen on December 8, 1787, as the 11th in the chain of Spanish Missions in California. The mission was destroyed by earthquake on December 12, 1812; the present Mission La Purisima was then established several miles away.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 928
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the La Purisima Parlor No. 327, Native Daughters of the Golden West.
September 26, 1979
The original Site of Mission de la Purisima is also National Register listing #78000775.
An 1878 drawing based on an 1876 photograph
Courtesy UC Berkeley, Bancroft Library
(Click Image to Zoom)