California Historical Landmarks in Santa Barbara County
California Historical Landmark 535
Carpinteria and Indian Village of Mishopshnow
950 Maple Avenue
The Chumash Indian village of "Mishopshnow," discovered by Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo, August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespi of the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition named it "San Roque", August 17, 1769. Portolá's soldiers, observing the Indians building wooden canoes, called the village "La Carpinteria" - the Carpenter Shop.
Registered Landmark No. 535
Plaque erected by the County of Santa Barbara in cooperation with the California State Park Commission.