National Register of Historic Places in San Mateo County
The First Congregational Church of Pescadero is the first church building constructed in Pescadero solely for religious purposes. This Classical Revival building is now the San Francisco Peninsula's oldest, surviving wooden church building on its original site and in continuous church use without major renovations.
On 5 November 1865, Rev. Hiram Cummings preached for the first time in Pescadero, then a part of Santa Cruz County. Construction of the redwood frame building began in May 1867 funded by anonymous "friends in San Francisco." The church was dedicated on 3 December 1867.
Having three churches in a small rural community, which was predominantly Catholic, caused all to struggle financially to survive. Various proposals to consider uniting the two Protestant churches ended in dismal failures.
Following the 1888 stylizing of the local St. Anthony's Catholic Church and the prospects for building a Methodist church, the Congregationalists were spurred into attending to the appearance of their church building. In April 1890 member Charles F. Wilson, a local contractor and builder, drew plans for a steeple and by October it was built.
The First Congregational Church of Pescadero is also California Landmark 949.