California Historical Landmarks in San Joaquin County
California Historical Landmark 178
In August 1844, the first settlers arrived at Rancho del Campo de los Franceses. One of the company, Thomas Lindsay, built the first dwelling, a tule hut, on this site. He was later murdered by Indians and buried here by travelers. The point was formed by the junction of McLeod's Lake and Miner's Channel.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 178
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with local civic and historical organization, July 26, 1969.