California Historical Landmarks in San Diego County
California Historical Landmark 74
Casa de Carrillo
Wallace Street and Juan Street
Presidio Comandante Francisco Maria Ruiz built this house next to his 1808 pear garden lake in 1821 for his close relative and fellow soldier, Joaquin Carrillo, and his large family. From this adobe dwelling, in April 1829, daughter Josefa Carrillo eloped to Chile with Henry Delano Fitch. When Ruiz died in 1839 and Joaquin soon afterwards, son Ramon Carrillo sold this property to Lorenzo Soto. It was transferred several times before 1932, deteriorating gradually, until George Marston and associates restored the house and grounds and deeded them to the City of San Diego as a golf course.
First registered December 6, 1932. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the San Diego City Department of Parks and Recreation and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, August 6, 1994.
A center of social life & romance in early Spanish days
Here lived Senorita Josefa Carrillo
One of the oldest adobe dwellings in San Diego
Built around the year 1810
Restored in October 1931