Sacramento County Points of Interest
The plaque cemetery reads:Prairie City Cemetery
THE SITE of the Prairie Hill Cemetery that once served the bustling gold rush town of Prairie City was located during the construction of the Prairie City Road and Highway 50 Interchange in May 1997. It was used between 1853 and at least 1872 and may have first been known as the Alder Creek Hill Cemetery as early as 1852. It was likely used by the citizens of Prairie City and other surrounding communities.
Please visit the Mormon Island Relocation Cemetery on Shadowfax Lane off Green Valley Road in El Dorado Hills, where in 1998, the remains of twelve of the deceased from this cemetery were relocated by the California Department of Transportation.
California Department of Transportation
with the cooperation of
Intel Corporation and The Folsom Historical Society