California Historical Landmarks in Sacramento County
California Historical Landmark 464
Prairie City Site
Prairie City Road North of Highway 50
Site of Prairie City, mining town and center of trade in California Gold Rush days. In July 1853, Prairie City reached the height of its prosperity, and included fifteen stores and ten boarding houses and hotels. Two stage lines operated daily. A $50,000 quartz mill operated here in the 50's.
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission.
Base furnished by Fern Parlor, No. 123, Native Daughters of the Golden West and Granite Parlor, No. 83, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Dedicated November 5, 1950