National Register of Historic Places in Sacramento County
The Blue Anchor Building was constructed of steel and concrete, finished in stucco, and capped by a low-pitched red tile roof. The building is eclectic in style with Spanish Colonial Revival predominating. Its most distinctive architectural feature is a two-and-a-half story tower at the junction of the two wings. The Blue Anchor building was designed by the Sacramento firm of Starks and Flanders, architects of many of Sacramento's civic and commercial buildings.
The building is located on the southwest corner of Tenth and N Streets and has a commanding view of the State Capitol Building.
The Blue Anchor Building served as home of the California Fruit Exchange during its most rapid period of growth, from 1932 to 1966. With over one thousand growers representing all major producing areas of the state and gross sales of over $60 million in 1981, the California Fruit Exchange is the world's largest deciduous fruit marketing cooperative.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1982.