National Register of Historic Places in Sacramento County
The Crocker Residence and Art Gallery is comprised of two buildings.
The residence, built in 1853 by Sacramento pioneer banker B. F. Hastings, was purchased by Edwin Bryant Crocker in 1868. Crocker then built the gallery to house one thousand original "old masters" and seven hundred oil paintings which he had purchased in Europe in the year 1870.
The Art Gallery is one of the finest Italianate (Mannerist Italian Villa) 19th Century structures in the United States.
In 1885, Crocker's widow donated the gallery to the City of Sacramento. It is the oldest state or municipally owned art gallery west of the Rocky Mountains, and is considered to be the second oldest in the United States.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1971.
The Crocker Gallery is also California Historical Landmark 599.