California Historical Landmarks in Sacramento County
California Historical Landmark 1013
Site of First African American Methodist Episcopal Church on the Pacific Coast
715 7th Street
This is the site of the first church building associated with an African American religious congregation on the Pacific Coast. The church was the Methodist Church of Colored People of Sacramento City, formally organized in 1850. In 1851 the congregation was admitted into the African Methodist Episcopal Church, becoming the first African Methodist Episcopal Church on the Pacific Coast. First known as Bethel, the name was later changed to St. Andrews. The original 1850 wooden church building was the site of the first statewide convention of the California Colored Citizens which met November 20-22, 1855.
California Registered Landmark No. 1013
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in Cooperation with St. Andrews African Methodist Episcopal Church and Sacramento County Historical Society, January 7, 1995.