California Historical Landmarks in Sacramento County
California Historical Landmark 698
Pony Express Fifteen Mile House
White Rock Road and Gold Valley Drive
Owned and operated from 1857 as a stage station by Henry F. W. Deterding, this was the site of the second remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express during March-July 1860. Here on April 4, 1860, Sam (Bill) Hamilton with the first eastward mail of the Pony Express changed ponies with Mormon Tavern as his next stop.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 698
Plaque placed by the California State Parks Commission in cooperation with the Sacramento County Historical Society; Fern Parlor No. 123, Native Daughters of the Golden West; and the Central Overland Pony Express Trail Association, April 2, 1960.