California Historical Landmarks in Sacramento County
California Historical Landmark 604
112 J Street
Sacramento’s first post office was located on this lot in 1849. In 1853, Henry E. Robinson bought the lot from Samuel Brannan and built this three story brick building, naming it the Jones Hotel. The Sacramento Pioneer Association first organized in this building in 1854. In 1855, it became a boarding house called the Vernon House, owned by Miss O. J. Clark. In 1865, Samuel Brannan bought the building, turned it back into a hotel, and renamed it Brannan House. This building was lifted approximately nine feet in 1865.
The Sam Brannan House Site contributes to the Old Sacramento Historic District which is a National Historic Landmark.
A bear flag plaque was mounted on the side of the building several years after we photographed it.