Greenville Main Street Walking Tour
The McBeth and Compton Store is the oldest building in downtown Greenville. It was probably built in the 1860's, and by 1878 it was owned by McBeth and Compton who expanded it to accommodate the post office, telegraph office, and Wells Fargo Express. They also added a water tower for fire protection. This expanded building, minus the water tower, is essentially the building that exists today.