Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Placer County
A marker on the front of the building reads:
The "McRae Opera House" on the upper floor was Roseville's main social hall through the 1920's - being used for meetings, plays and dances. It was here that town meetings which led to Roseville's incorporation were held. For a time the hall became "Lyric" Movie House. During the 1930's the hall was used as a roller rink and for boxing matches. Later, the upper floor housed the offices of the Press Tribune.
Throughout its history, the street level has housed the McRae Insurance Offices, The "Piggley Wiggley" grocery store, the offices of the "Roseville Register" - Roseville's first newspaper - and the Post Office (1914-1924.)
Special recognition to Richard and Donald Ryan for renovation in 1989