National Register of Historic Places in Klamath County
Klamath Falls City Hall, a distinctive example of Beaux Arts Academic Classicism in the tradition of the American Renaissance, was designed by the young architect, Earl Veghte, who came from a family of builder-contractors in nearby Ashland.
Klamath Falls City Hall was the headquarters of municipal government during most of the period of major growth and upbuilding in Klamath Falls, the years from 1910 to 1930. This period of promise was ushered in by the rail connections which were in place by 1905 and vigorous promotion of commercial development and settlement by rail lines and land companies.
Klamath Falls City Hall is an expression of Progressive Era values which called for a modern and efficient building to house the administrative functions and services demanded by an influx of population. Like its counterparts in communities everywhere in this period, Klamath Falls City Hall was planned as a functional yet stately edifice befitting the seat of local government.
In 1930 Klamath Falls ranked as the fourth largest city in the state. This high point of expectation would be dashed by economic depression and drought.
In recent years the city government has outgrown its historic seat. The fire department and jail now are housed elsewhere, but the building continues in use by the municipality.
Adapted from the NRHP Nomination Form.