National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
This small building is one of the oldest surviving Forest Service structures.
In 1907, President Theodore Roosevelt declared that much of the Applegate River watershed would henceforth be protected as a National Forest. This one-room building in the middle of an alfalfa patch was the first administrative headquarters for the Applegate Ranger District. After the Civilian Conservation Corps built a new ranger station in the 1930's, the building was used as a tack room until the 1940's and then for general storage. Over the years, it was moved several times.
A related historic property is the Star Ranger Station.