National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
The Star Ranger Station compound is located in an area where extensive placer mining took place during the last quarter of the 19th century. Evidence of hydraulic operations is nearby.
The land was included in the Ashland Forest Reserve proclamation of 1906, and it was removed from homestead or mineral entry in 1914. The earliest ranger station at the site was in an abandoned log cabin on the Star Mining Claim.
The rustic building in the photograph was constucted in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. It replaced a small ranger station which became the tack room.