Nevada Historic Markers in Washoe County
Nevada Historical Marker 79
Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery
10th and Angel Streets
17 March 2016
(Click Photos to Zoom)
In 1890 General O. M. Mitchel Post #69, Grand Army of the Republic, bought 17 lots in the original Hillside Cemetery for the last resting place for comrades-in-arms during the Civil War, 1861-1865.
While friends and relatives of the soldiers maintained the cemetery well, years of neglect and vandalism followed in the twentieth century. Restoration began in 1963 by the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War and other interested citizens of the Reno Area.
Among those buried here are members of the Nevada volunteers who served in their own state and neighboring areas of the West from 1861-1866.
State Historical Marker No. 79
State Historic Preservation Office
Eva M. Crist McCarthy
The Grand Army of the Republic was founded in 1866 as a national fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army, the Union Navy, the Union Marines and the Revenue Cutter Service who served in the American Civil War for the Federal forces.
Hundreds of local posts were formed, predominately in the North, but also a few in the South and West.
This cemetery could be a touching place, if it were not surrounded by two chain link fences with padlocked gates and a sign reading "Trespass Law Enforced" in large letters, which make it forlorn and forbidding.