National Register of Historic Places in Washoe County
This building, constructed in 1889 after a disastrous fire had destroyed much of Reno, is the oldest extant structure of its type in Nevada. Along with the neighboring depot, it is the last remnant in Nevada of one of the 20th century's longest narrow gauge railroads.
NCORR was founded in 1880 as the Nevada and Oregon Railroad Company. By 1912, it had 238 miles of track between Reno and Lakeview, Oregon. Unlike other Nevada railroads, it was not dependent upon mining. Instead, it hauled cattle, sheep and lumber.
In 1917, NCORR sold its Reno facilities and sixty-four miles of track to Western Pacific Railroad (WPRR) and moved its headquarters and shops to Alturas, California, to become an isolated feeder railroad in southern Oregon and northern California.
In 1921, WPRR leased the building to Crane Company, a plumbing supply firm. Crane operated here until 1963.
Since then, the building has housed a number of different businesses.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination form submitted in 1983.