National Register of Historic Places in Washoe County
The Nevada-California-Oregon Railroad Depot is the last vestige in Nevada of what was one of the 20th century's longest narrow gauge railroads.
The company was founded in 1889 as the Nevada and Oregon Railroad Company. The headquarters were in Reno although only twenty-five miles of track were in Nevada.
The most lucrative years were from 1906 to 1912, but the company was always unstable financially, a typical condition of small railroads.
In 1917, the NCORR was forced to sell sixty-four miles of the main line and all of its Nevada holdings to the Western Pacific Railroad (WPRR).
On January 30, 1918, as the last narrow gauge train left the Reno depot, Western Pacific employees began tearing up the narrow gauge rails.
From 1917 to 1937, the building served as a WPRR passenger and freight depot.
From 1937 to 1975, it served as WPRR offices.
Since then, the building has housed commercial enterprises.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination form submitted in 1980.
The depot is also Nevada Historical Landmark 210.
When we photographed the building in March 2016, it housed a craft brewery and distillery.