National Register of Historic Places in Washoe County
The Gerlach water tower was built in 1909 by the Utah Construction Company under contract to the Western Pacific Railroad Company, which was the last of the transcontinental rail lines to be constructed. The tower initially served not only the locomotives, but also the town.
Until 1953, Gerlach was a company town. A small round house, shops and attendant facilities served the needs of the railroad. Gerlach ceased to be a Division Headquarters in 1931 and between 1945 and 1953 all Division facilities were removed except the water tower.