National Register of Historic Places in Storey County
This Italianate residence was designed by architect Charles H. Jones for George Anson King, a director of the Virginia and Truckee Railroad and the founder of the Nevada Bank of San Francisco in Virginia City. King's home survived the Great Fire of 1875 while the mansions of neighboring moguls burned to the ground.
When the King family returned to San Francisco in the 1880's, they rented the house to Judge Richard Rising for a few years before donating it to the Catholic Church. The Church leased it to many people over the next half century including Halvor and Virginia Smedesrude beginning in 1944. The Smedesrudes operated it as the Bonanza Inn, a fancy boarding house for wealthy out-of-state women who needed a six-week residencies to obtain Nevada divorces. (Think of Clare Boothe Luce and The Women and marvel at the eternal ability of the Catholic Church to avert its gaze while raking in bucks from mortal sin.)
In 1953, the Church sold the property to the McBride family who own the Bucket of Blood Saloon on C Street.
The 1937 photograph from the Historic American Buildings Survey shows that the dormer windows were an unfortunate addition, perhaps added to accommodate more divorcees in the attic.