National Register of Historic Places in Nye County
Nye County was named in honor of James Warren Nye, governor of Nevada Territory and the first United States Senator after Nevada was granted statehood on October 31, 1864.
The two-story courthouse of ashlar and concrete was completed within a year. With its rounded arches supported by clustered columns, it exhibits substantial Romanesque details that are rare in Nevada.
In 1907, the county added a two-story jailhouse of the same ashlar stone composition.
Diverging from the original Romanesque style, three 1960s additions included new wings made of concrete block with vertically grouped windows and a flat roof.
A porch of steel and glass was added in recent years.
Source: Online Nevada Encyclopedia